Perhaps from reading this blog (or for knowing me at all) you've already surmised there are some foods I love, and some that I hate. I kind of covered this when I went through America's most hated foods.
Here's a brief run down of things you may/may not see on my blog.
Foods I Hate:
1. Mayonnaise. No really, nothing compares to how much I hate this substance. It's an emulsion of fat and fat what more can I say? I understand the whole "moisture barrier for sandwich" idea, but really, I much prefer avocado. Tastier and more nutritious!
2. Egg yolks. I don't know, I just never liked the taste. As a kid I'd ask my mom for 'sunny side up' eggs and eat around the yolks. When I learned as a grown up that I could have JUST the egg whites, it was one of the best days of my life. Yes. I'm the person ordering the egg white who actually PREFERS the egg whites. My hate of egg yolks gets in the way of a lot of cookie recipes. I find many of these to be way too eggy for me.
3. Sour Cream. It tastes like rotten cream to me. [Seeing a trend?]
4. Pears. They are gritty. They remain the one fruit/vegetable that I really don't like. They're ok in baked goods I guess, but I can't eat them raw.
5. Raisins. I like grapes and I even like other dried fruit, but not raisins. As a child I once binged on raisins so bad that I threw up. I no longer eat them. Also, they look like chocolate chips, but are not. Yuck.
6. Doughnuts. They have a weird aftertaste. I'm ok w/the homemade kind. I think store bought has some weird old oil taste I can't stand.
7. Cheesecake. Cheese and cake? One or the other! Make up your minds! [Though I reserve a special place for tiramisu.. marscapone is only barely cheese!]
8. Coffee. It smells weird and tastes bitter. Not something I really want to acquire a taste for anyway.
9. Bacon. Technically, I've never had it, but the smell is just horrid and makes me ill.
10. Gelatin/Lard -- more of a peeve than anything else. Lots of candies and baked goods are made w/these ingredients when they could be made perfectly well w/non animal sources. This is on the list out of my frustration more than anything else.
Things I love
1. All fruits/veggies that are NOT pears. Seriously, all of them.
2. Egg whites! I really love these.
3. Sour candies. I adore citric acid.
4. Lemon! On EVERYTHING. You name it, I'll put lemon on it.
5. Greek Yogurt. I eat this almost every day during the week for lunch. So much protein! And delicious!
6. French Toast. Who doesn't love french toast?
7. Tea. Black, Oolong, Green all are great. Herbal teas are hit-and-miss and I usually don't like those berry flavored herbal ones -- a bit tart for my taste.
8. Honey. Honey is superior to sugar.
9. Almond-flavored-anything. Almond Italian Soda, Marzipan, Amaretti cookies, if it has almonds, I love it.
10. Anise-flavored-anything (that isn't licorice). A good anise biscotti is not to be meddled with. My grandmother's Ri'fat (think: Moroccan Biscotti) will always seal the deal for me. I don't mind Licorice to be honest, I just don't think it really belongs on my favorite thing list.