Today, I threw together this noodle salad. I kind of made up the dressing but it turned out pretty well. I even made some more to use for a stir fry I made later and to put on regular salads.
1/2 lb of dry soba
1 sweet red pepper, roughly chopped
2 small (persian) cucumbers sliced into rounds, skin on
1 avocado, in 1/2 inch cubes
10 basil leaves, chiffonaded
1/2 block (7-8 oz), thinly sliced extra firm tofu
olive oil for the pan
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp soyaki (or more soy sauce)
1 tbsp (yellow, mild) miso
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp fresh, grated ginger
2 tsp sesame oil
1 small shallot, thiny sliced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Prepare the soba noodles as per the package instructions. When done rinse in cold water.
2. Mix the dressing ingredients and combine well.
3. Cook the tofu. Place enough olive oil in a skillet just to coat the bottom and place over medium high heat. Toast the pieces of tofu in the skillet until they are golden brown on each side - about a few minutes on each side.
4. Just before the tofu is done, toss the noodles, pepper, cucumber, and dressing.
5. To serve, place a layer of noodles. Top with a few pieces of avocado, a few pieces of tofu, sprinkle with some basil and some sesame seeds. If desired, sprinkle a little more red pepper flake and cayenne pepper on top for an added kick.